Saturday

Charles Spurgeon during the Cholera Outbreak of 1854


In times of trouble, it is almost always safe to see what Spurgeon thought and did under similar circumstances.  In London, in 1854, Spurgeon struggled with his own thinking and emotions.  Here's what the Lord showed him and what he wrote:
I was returning mournfully home from a funeral, when, as God would have it, my curiosity led me to read a paper which was wafered up in a shoemaker’s window in the Great Dover Road. It did not look like a trade announcement, nor was it, for it bore, in a good bold handwriting, these words:
 “Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the Most High, thy habitation; there shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.” 
 The effect upon my heart was immediate. Faith appropriated the passage as her own. I felt secure, refreshed, girt with immortality. I went on with my visitation of the dying, in a calm and peaceful spirit; I felt no fear of evil, and I suffered no harm. The Providence which moved the tradesman to place those verses in his window, I gratefully acknowledge; and in the remembrance of its marvelous power, I adore the Lord my God.
Those who belong to God have the troubles of this world, but we go forth in boldness and peace.  Our burdens, though they seem significant now, are light and momentary in comparison to eternity.  Others need to know about the redeeming glories of Christ and the peace that only He brings in this life and forevermore.  The worries about Coronavirus and the economy are no match for the assurances of God.


The scripture that the shoemaker quoted is Psalm 91:9.

This is an excerpt from Pastor Geoff Chang at The Spurgeon Center.